The site is optimized, but it does not appear in the search results for all requests. Perhaps the search robots have not yet crawled it. One way to speed up indexing is to micro-mark up key information on the site. It also makes the link in the SERP attractive to users.
What is micromarking?
Tags that are inserted into the code show search robots the meaning of the text data. If a number is selected, then the markup tells the algorithms what it is: the price, the store opening time, or the date of the event. Then search robots quickly identify the data and determine which request to show the link to.
It's like the inscriptions on the boxes with goods: here is pasta, and here is washing powder. And the warehouse worker in the store sends one package to the pasta department, and the other to the laundry racks.
Attributes are not visible to users, however, the text highlighted by them is displayed in the snippet as useful additional information about the product or service, the location of the office, the schedule of the beauty salon. The phone number of the manager, information about the presence or absence of goods in the online store can be indicated.
To create microdata, you do not need to install a program or generate files. Tags are taken from special dictionaries and copied into the site code. Anyone who has an understanding of HTML and working with tags can cope with this task.
Types of microdata
Attributes are classified into groups that highlight information depending on the meaning and objectives. Each category consists of a set of possible data choices. Consider the tags that contribute to SEO promotion:
- Organization. This is how the company's contact details are distinguished: address, phone number, working hours, etc. It is used for the main page of the site.
- product. Used for product cards and allows you to add an image, a short description, price, availability information, reviews, and more. Such data is of interest to users because it tells them basic information about the product they are looking for. The number of visits to the site is increasing.
- BreadcrumbList or breadcrumbs. This is the path to the page. It is indicated in the location of the link in the snippet after the site name. Then the line looks more informative and attractive than just the page address.
- AggregateRating. So add the rating of the product, institution or company. The tag is effective in combination with the number of reviews. In the snippet, it is indicated by yellow stars and gives the page authority.
- event. Highlights the message about the event according to the event: children's, social, sports, etc.
- FAQ. Extends the snippet field by several lines containing questions and answers. They attract attention and increase the number of transitions to the page.
How to add microdata?
Scripts are entered manually or created using site generators. There are two main formats for implementing microdata on a website:
- Schema.org - the system contains templates for tags and attributes for structuring information and designing a rich snippet.
For social networks, Facebook's Open Graph Dictionary is used.
Read more about the types of microdata formats in the Google Search Center:
Microdata in Google Search Console
In Google Search Console indicate the site and confirm the rights to it. Then access to the options for creating microdata is opened. Select from the panel:
- section "View in search", "Data market";
- press the "Start selection" button;
- indicate the URL of the page to work with;
- in the text of the site, select the information that needs to be highlighted with micromarking, and right-click on it. A context menu appears showing the type of information. Specify the one that corresponds to the type of data: image, price, date, event, etc.
- when finished, click "Continue", and a preview is generated. If everything suits, the changes are applied.
Schema Creation Wizard
This service from Google generates markup code, which is then transferred to the site. Specify the URL of the page. In the My Data Items panel, the required information is highlighted. Click the "Create HTML" button and select the appropriate format:
- JSON-LD recommended by Google. The code is inserted into the body of the page itself.
- Microdata - information with attributes according to the schema.org method.
The Data Marker service is provided for pages that have already been crawled by search robots. Schema markup is performed in the same way as in Google Markup Wizard. Instructions for working with Data Marker are provided in the help Search Console.
Attention! All microdata elements must match the data on the page, otherwise Google will consider this manipulation and the site will be penalized.
The introduced attributes are tested in Google Search Central. Validation is available for schema.org markup and for rich Google results.
Why microdata is useful for SEO?
Featured snippets increase CTR because they grab attention with additional information and images. When a profitable price, a message about discounts, key features are indicated near the link in the SERP, users want to learn more and click. Often, only on the basis of this information, visitors to an online store are ready to make a purchase.
However, this is not the only purpose of microdata. The benefit of microdata for SEO is that it aids in indexing. Robots are easier and faster to scan data highlighted with tags and attributes that indicate the purpose of the information.
In order for the microdata of the site to be correct, it is recommended to contact professionals. SEO specialists track changes in the work of search algorithms, determine phrases to highlight as attributes for different types of sites, and select appropriate tag categories.