Free website advertising in search results! We are talking about the meta tags Title and Description – HTML codes. Google uses them to determine the topic of the page and place it in the search results. Users see the text of the meta tags as title and announcement.
Title and Description – Great Advertising
Users search for the material that suits them in the search results by looking at the titles. By composing Title taking into account the needs and interests of the target audience, it will be possible to attract it.
By Description, users rate the content of the proposed results on Google. Description – an opportunity to convince them to follow the link.
Catching correct Title The
title is a reference point for the audience, which is displayed:
- in the search results as a large blue link title;
- at the top of browser tabs and bookmarks;
- in links on external sites.
The reader is prompted to click on the specific wording corresponding to his request. Therefore, when composing the text of the meta tag, they analyze what words the audience enters in the search. Title is formed starting with thematic phrases. If you do not hook the user right away, he may not finish reading to the point.
(quote)Help: the text of the meta tags is indicated in special blocks of site constructors or in the “Snippet” section. The program translates it into code for algorithms. Users see text in search results.
Title is different from H1. When composing it, take into account therecommendations Google following: The
- title reflects the content of the page.
- The text does not exceed the recommended length of 60-70 characters, otherwise it will be truncated “half-word”.
- Template headings will not work when only one word is changed – “Winter jacket”, “Winter hat”, “Winter gloves”.
- Key words are used sparingly. Wrong: “Professional apartment renovation, apartment renovation in Odessa, inexpensive apartment renovation.” That’s right: “Professional apartment renovation in Odessa is inexpensive.”
- Indicate the brand name in the Title for the main page or the “About Us” section. Its frequent use distracts from the content. In headings to product pages, the name of the company is placed at the end, so that at first users can see what product is being offered.
- For each page of the site of the stationary and mobile versions, unique Title is used so that the system distinguishes them from each other.
It is sometimes worth experimenting with the style and using a light clickbait sensational headline if the content truly communicates to the reader what the Title promises. They use numbers and words that reflect the value of information: “10 working secrets …”, “A complete guide to …”, “The main secret of successful …”, etc. It is important to be careful not to disappoint visitors here. It is Google’s policy to prohibit the use of sensational text that is misleading.
Description – Advertising Tool
If no meta tag is specified, the system uses a portion of the text from the web page. The description is compiled independently in order to make potential customers a profitable offer in a few lines, to interest and show why they should visit the page.
Description add information useful to the audience:
- information about the availability of the product;
- the cost of services or products;
- message about a promotion and a gift;
- key characteristics of the product;
- phone number for a free consultation;
- store opening hours;
- the term of the work;
- call to action: “Call”, “Order the product and get a gift”, “Click here”, “Buy now with a discount”, etc .;
- a description of additional services important to customers. For example, an apartment renovation company announcesthat the premises will be cleaned after the completion of the work.
Advertising touches the senses and promises solutions to problems. The description focuses not on the pain of the audience, but on a pleasant and useful result from cooperation:
- “we will get for you the model you are looking for …”;
- “You don’t have to redo”;
- “We will save you from routine work”;
- “You don’t have to worry about …”;
- “We will take care of your comfort”;
- “The landing page will make a profit in 2 weeks”;
- “We will deliver the order in an hour”;
- “Your sales will grow in a month”;
- “Save your time”, etc. The
Audience appreciates humor. Laconic rhymed statements about goods or services amuse and dispose:
- “Do not lag behind – promote the site!”;
- “Order a probiotic – please your tummy!”;
- “Buy a fitness watch and forget about the scales!”;
- “If the site flies, it will not lose customers!”;
- “Press here soon – your food is waiting for you!” etc.
To highlight Title and Description in the search results, use emoticons and symbols. They are added to the title and description text by copying from emoji tables. They can be found on the Internet.
Description length from 140 to 160 characters, including spaces. If the text is larger, the excess is cut off by the system. Sometimes it is composed according to the principle of a television series, so that the description breaks off at the most interesting. The user wants to know more and clicks. This is fine for a blog post or tutorial. However, do not often use a Description that exceeds the recommended length – this can negatively affect the rating.
A / B testing helps determine which Title and Description variant will bring more clicks. Create 2 titles and 2 descriptions each. Use different wording, keywords, and calls to action.
An attractive snippet increases the CTR of the page, which also affects the growth of positions and website promotion in search engines.
Note: Google does not always use these meta tags!
What if the title in the SERP and the Title shown on the page do not match? When the system detects errors and inconsistencies in the meta tag, it replaces it with a variant based on the page content, link text, and other information.
On August 24, 2021, a Google blog reported that the search results might not be Title, but H1 or another piece of text. Automatic replacement most often occurs if:
- keyword overspam is allowed;
- the title is identical to the name of the site, a template phrase is used or “Untitled” is indicated;
- Title exceeds the allowed length. Then the system leaves its content part, and not just truncates unnecessary characters.
However, more than 80% of the time Google uses Title! If the headlines are meaningful and free from errors, they will be a priority and become free advertising.
The system shows links to potential blog readers or online store customers. This is a chance to induce them to take targeted action, to evoke pleasant feelings and an emotional connection with the brand. Knowing your audience well, you will be able to choose the appropriate style and words.
Rating / 5.